27 May 2006

Robert Lamb: Loo-Kee's appearance...

I spoke to Robert Lamb about his She-Ra season one episode "Loo-Kee Lends a Hand"...

"The timestop device is a perfect example of writing with the limitations of the medium. Animation is expensive. In live action when time stops, the actors have a real hard time holding still to maintain the illusion. In animation it is ridiculously simple. Shot after shot of held cels. Cheap, but effective. After I had returned to storyboard "Loo-Kee Lends a Hand" made its way through the production mill. Lou Scheimer phoned me in Bob Arkwright's office to tell me how much he liked the episode. Unfortunately, it was afternoon breaktime and all the storyboard guys were in Bob's office hooting at me as if I was kissing up to the Big Boss."

3 comments:

Dave said...

Only problem with that episode is the lame way that Adora grabs onto her sword even though she's trapped in time. Otherwise, a fairly good episode.

Kevin Martinell said...

The most memorable scene for me, in this episode, is when Loo-Kee is transported to Snake Mountain ... Skeletor and Beast-Man are both used as comic relief, to perfection, as Loo-Kee tries to escape them both. Talk about good old slapstick comedy, and the animation used for the villains is magnificent! :)

Another amusing feature in this episode is based on the image used for this caption ... When Light Hope mentions the name, "Adam," to Loo-Kee, Loo-Kee whispers the name in sync with Light Hope, as we see a look of awe on Loo-Kee's face. :)

Thanks for posting and reading! God Bless...

~KevyGuy :)
* * * * * * *

ToonJukka said...

As a kid, I always imagined Loo-Kee was naturally "in the know" but when I learned of this episode I was blown away that we got to see how he discovers it in real time.

Plus I can imagine that Filmation would have indeed liked this episode with so much "timestopped" characters. :)
Kinda like that idea that they would make an episode solely based on stock animation (can't remember off the top of my head who suggested it, Tom perhaps).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...