14 July 2006

The original ending to "Battlecat"...

On many occasions an episode would change during the process from script to storyboard. It was however rare that changes should occur from storyboard to screen, but that is exactly what happened to the "Battlecat" episode from He-Man's season two. Here I present the last two pages of the storyboard by Hal Sutherland, and, as you can see, instead of the story returning to the present day, the episode remained in the flashback with Prince Adam and Cringer talking about the recent turn of events. I personally prefer the ending that we all know and love!


(click on the images to see them at full-size)

6 comments:

Chris M said...

Howdy

I agree the latter ending is far better than the original. I am glad they changed it.

Mosquitor said...

God, that is a pretty crap ending! Thank God they changed it.

Kevin Martinell said...

Count me in too! I enjoy the final product the most ... The dialogue in the storyboard does sound like Cringer's typical humorous complaints, though! :)

It was a treat to see the storyboard version of the famous stock animation of Adam petting Cringer as seen in episodes like "Teela's Quest," and in the moral segment from "Mistaken Identity."

Thanks for posting and reading! God Bless...

~KevyGuy :)
* * * * * * *

Jay Firestorm said...

Ah yes, 'Battlecat'. Should have been a classic (I liked the flashbacks), but it just didn't seem 'grand' enough. I always thought that Skeletor should have been involved in Battle Cat's coming about.

It must be a thing with origins with key characters - I personally really didn't like the 200x opener, with the 'origins' of He-Man. I felt nothing could live up to what would have been his first outing, and they should have left it to the imagination.

(Also, it's always bugged me with the spelling of "Battlecat" - same syndrome as with Scareglow and Trapjaw in MOTUC!)

Go Green at Battin said...

Thank the ancients that they change the ending. The one the went with is the perfect ending... and it still brings a tear to my eye when ever I see it. the original ending does seem to fit.

Kelly

ToonJukka said...

Very cool to see the original dialogue between Adam and Cringer in this storyboard.

Gotta say I also prefer the ending we have on final screen. It tugs the heart-strings all that much more. This would have been a good comedic ending but not as memorable overall.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...