26 August 2006

Proscenium arch...

As pointed out to me by Chris M, somehow yesterday I mistakenly stated that "The Royal Cousin" was written by Paul Dini when it was in fact written by Robby London!

Not sure what happened there...

What is the proscenium arch, and how exactly is Sy-Klone crossing it?! The proscenium arch in theatres is the arch that separates the play itself from the audience; so to "cross the proscenium arch" would mean that the actor is talking to the audience! In issue three of the UK Masters of the Universe comic in a story titled "Jewel of Fire" the final panel shows the heroes victorious over Skeletor's latest scheme, and in an odd moment Sy-Klone appears to be whispering to the reader! Even though the cartoon did this a few times I would have preferred the characters to talk to the audience more often...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

A rather sarcastic version of Sy-Klone, here ... His expression is classic and says it all! :)

Makes me think of 2 of my favorite moments in the He-Man and She-Ra series, when a character speaks to the audience, mainly the villains...

"They say that two heads are better than one, but I think they're wrong!"
~Skeletor, from "Capture The Comet Keeper"

And...

"You know, some days it just doesn't pay to be evil!"
~Modulok, from "Gateway To Trouble"

Thanks for posting and reading! God Bless...

~KevyGuy :)
* * * * * * *

Dave said...

Proscenium arch, hey, Mr. Clever Dick?! Look forward to your post on chiaroscuro in "Night of the Shadowbeasts" soon! ;)

HB Potlood said...

I always suspected Sy-Klone would be the one to break the fourth wall first...

ToonJukka said...

Whenever I see the title to this blog-post, I question myself "what was this one about again?"

And immediatly when I see the image I go like "oh yeah this one".
Cool panel and breaking the fourth wall doesn't even seem like out of place-situation when it comes to UK comics. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...