07 August 2006

Reference to the past #1

Larry DiTillio was one of Filmation's most prominent writers during season two of He-Man, and was recognized for his attention to continuity, which the heads of the show shied away from. On two occasions in the episode "Happy Birthday Roboto" Prince Adam and Man-At-Arms reference episodes from season one in very brief conversations. The first occasion occurs at the very beginning of the episode when the characters reference "A Tale of Two Cities." The second I will reveal tomorrow...

For your listening pleasure, Remembering Garn.

6 comments:

Chris M said...

Howdy

I love this as one of my biggest disappointments with He-Man is the lack of continuity but little things like this really help it to recover :)

Mike Bock said...

Larry DiTillio rocks!!
A hell of a guy and great writer.

Shawn (Fallen Eldor) said...

I had a dream the other night that I was reading a new MOTU comic written by Larry.
For the life of me I can't remember what the comic was about all I remember is that Busta, Pig Boy and I where geeking out about it together. Some people experience post traumatic stress syndrome, I get post SDCC dreams...

Kevin Martinell said...

Even though we never see any of the characters (from the past episodes) mentioned in this episode, the dialogue really grabs the listener's attention, especially those who have followed the series since the beginning. :)

"The Secret Of Grayskull" was another fine example, featuring flashbacks from both "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" and "Creatures From The Tar Swamp," in favor of continuity, once again. :)

Thanks for posting and reading! God Bless...

~KevyGuy :)
* * * * * * *

ToonJukka said...

I remember when I first time saw this episode, I didn't know who Garn was so the reference flew right past me. But later once again when saw "Eye of the Beholder" I could enjoy in taking a note at the small piece of continuity that was added.

Larry DiTillio for teh win! :)

ToonJukka said...

whoops. Meant to say "A Tale of Two Cities". haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...