10 October 2006

Faker's appearance?

Oh my, I have not posted a Faker Blog entry in a while. I must be ill! Faker's appearance in the season one He-Man episode "The Shaping Staff" is a mixed one. It is great to see the villain show up, but we are all disappointed when we see him sporting the exact same colors as He-Man. In my previous Blog entries regarding this villain I have explained why this was the case, but looking at the script for "The Shaping Staff" brings about some interesting facts! In the script by Paul Dini Faker was supposed to be the same color as his toy, hence Skeletor's line to him regarding the Sorceress, "In this dim light she'll think you're He-Man." Also Faker was supposed to be an existing character, not just a moment of magic on Skeletor's part; this was changed at the very last minute, which is why his appearance in the episode feels so rushed!



6 comments:

Mosquitor said...

Somehow I always suspected that was the case with regards to the script. Mainly because it was obviously an animator's decision to make Faker an exact clone of He-Man (to save animation costs) rather than a scriptwriter's.

It did seem dumb how Skeletor just created Faker out of nothing, just like that, if it was that easy to create an evil He-Man, then not only could he have easily done it again, but he could have created a whole army of them!

Mike Bock said...

I can't beleive they chaged that at the last minute. It would've made more sense and people would've loved Fakers first and only appearance.

Kevin Martinell said...

Back in the day, when the action toys of Clamp Champ, King Randor, and The Sorceress were manufactured, I'm pretty sure they re-released the Faker toy, once again ... Had the He-Man series continued onward, this would have been the perfect opportunity to feature a sequel episode just for Faker. :)

On a bizarre note, I sometimes wondered if Faker would have had the capability to transform into a "fake Prince Adam," had Skeletor ever been aware of He-Man's secret identity!!! :)

Thanks for posting and reading! God Bless...

~KevyGuy :)
* * * * * * *

Simon said...

When I watched "The Shaping Staff" the first time it was aired over here, I wasn't sure that the Faker in the cartoon was the same as in the toys. First of all, the toy was never released over here in Italy, I just saw its picture behind the other carachters' cards, and wondered who or what that blue He-Man was. Second, the name Faker was translated into its Italian equivalent "Impostore", but when I was 5 I couldn't understand English, and so I had no clue! Anyway, I would have loved to see the true Faker appear in a more interesting way in the cartoon.

Buzz Chuck said...

But in reality no one would believe Faker was He-Man because he's blue. I like that he has human skin tones. I would have liked to have seen him in a grey Skeletor armor.

ToonJukka said...

I wonder why Faker's appearance was changed at the last minute.

I would have really liked seeing him in his true blue-colours, even if he would not have been used anymore after this episode.
Also it seems like an easy repaint thing for the animators, which is why it has been a puzzling thing as to why they didn't color Faker with accurate blue-skin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...