25 February 2008

Ebony-skinned Huntara!

There are not that many guest characters that made as big an impact in the She-Ra series as the wonderful Huntara. After appearing in the season one episode "Huntara", the rest of the series literally cried out for her to make another appearance. Interestingly her model sheet describes her as a black character, which is obvious when looking at the character design. When I was young I used to believe that her design was based on eighties icon Grace Jones; sure enough Larry DiTillio's script describes her as Grace Jones! The interesting thing we have to question is why they felt the need to alter the character's skin tone?


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

mermaidliz said...

You are right again, James! And I was wondering who she reminded me of...Grace Jones, of course! :)
The only reason I can think of for changing Huntara's skin color is that perhaps they didn't get an approval for a Grace Jones cartoon version and therefore, trying to avoid any misunderstanding or associations, they made her skin purple. A great character in any case! :)

Kevin Martinell said...

Beautiful illustrations! I prefer the final version ... The purple skin makes her seem otherworldly, since she is from another planet. Great bit of history, though. :)

Thanks for reading! God Bless...

~KevyGuy :)
* * * * * * *

alvaro said...

I love this character, it's amazing and I thought of Jones the first time I saw it and heard her voice! If I'm correct, I think I saw Larry DiTilio saying that she was inspired by Grace Jones but they didn't wanted to have an arian fighting a zulu or something like that so they made her light blue, also to give her an even more "alien feel" to her... it also reminds me of how the actual Grace Jones does her different make ups, sometimes as a white woman, it's amazing.

http://www.hardcandymusic.com/2011/04/brigitte-fontaine-ft-grace-jones-dancefloor.html

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images/uploads/vampires-grace-jones-de.jpg

HB Potlood said...

On a sidenote, I was surprised to learn recently that Marvel comic's Disco Queen was originally supposed to look like Grace Jones as well, but then '10' came out and she was changed to resemble Bo Derek instead. Then Grace had a big break thanks to A View to a Kill and Conan, and it's only logical she would face the Princess of Power.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...