23 September 2010

Memories #7 - I need that VHS tape!

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

As I had only taped a few episodes of He-Man upon their initial airing there were many episodes that I had seen once. Also, bear in mind that in the UK the series only ever aired twice on terrestrial television! Our local video store Must-A-Vision had a video cassette of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. On the video were the episodes "Like Father, Like Daughter", "Creatures From The Tar Swamp", and "Dawn of Dragoon". This video cassette was one of the first released and as a result was incredibly rare. I rented out that tape from the store too many times to recall over the years. Of course eventually I would manage to record the episodes from the television from their second airing, so there was no longer a need to rent out the tape. That said, in the late nineties Must-A-Vision was selling a great deal of their stock. I ventured into the shop, saw that the He-Man video cassette was for sale and purchased it without a moment's hesitation!


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

5 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Congratulations, Sir. :) The change in title for "Like Father Like Daughter" was interesting!" Too bad about the spoiler written for "Dawn of Dragoon!" Interesting to see images featured from "Teela's Quest" as the episode was not featured on this video at all, but the image of Teela holding He-Man's sword is one of my favorites. :)
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

Joni Koivisto said...

The Finnish counterpart of this VHS, was my introduction to all things Masters of the Universe. "Like Father, Like Daughter" was the very first Filmation series episode I ever saw and maybe because of that, it's one of my favorite episodes.

David Monid said...

It's funny, it may have been rare but my Dad found a copy. :D I was impressed that this one had one episode more then it's later Channel 5 release.

Dear I say it, but perhaps this must have been the most common of the three Select videos, asI've seen Volume 3 a lot more then the other two, LOL. :D

Your memories of the video store, reminds me of when we used to rent tapes from our local video rental place many moons ago and yours truily rented She-Ra quite a bit, since they didn't have many He-Man titles, but i did rent Volume 3 by VCI there once, after that I never saw it again, till my Dad got me a copy from a closing down video store at the Elephant and Castle; shopping center. :D

HB Potlood said...

what a great piece of box art! They really don't make 'em like this anymore. Because this was the time before everyone had photoshop.

Vinto-Man said...

I actually worked in a video shop a few years ago and they had some He-Man videos. when they were getting rid of them, i bought them and i will donate them to my mums work since she works with kids and hopefully they will take to it like i did as a kid!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...