12 October 2010

Memories #14 - A new cast!

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

I remember walking into my local toy store as a kid preparing to buy a new Masters of the Universe action figure only to be startled by the arrival of a wealth of new action figures. I was really very confused. To this day I always recall looking at the card back for Whiplash and seeing this collection of new characters, Battle Armor He-Man, Fisto, Buzz-Off, Battle Armor Skeletor, Clawful, Webstor, Kobra Khan, etc. The first thing I thought was that they had turned Masters of the Universe into a sci-fi toyline, because I did not understand what He-Man and Skeletor were supposed to be wearing! I also briefly remember thinking that Mekaneck was a new version of He-Man himself! I was baffled by all the new arrivals, but at the same time overjoyed. I distinctly remember purchasing Whiplash as the first new figure from that wave of toys. It is funny to think that I thought the toyline was taking a more sci-fi orientated stance, when a few years later that would be the focus of Mattel's relaunch of the brand...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

6 comments:

Mosquitor said...

I remember in about '85, being fascinated by the new characters I discovered on the cardbacks, namely Moss Man, Roboto, Sy-Klone, Two Bad etc. I thought they were the strangest characters in MOTU yet; a man made of moss and a warrior with two heads, and I was well excited. I definitely got the impression then that MOTU was going more sci-fi, with a fully robotic warrior and Sy-Klone's futuristic design.

Kevin Martinell said...

"Trouble In Trolla" was my first memory of Whiplash, and it got me excited enough to buy the action toy. :)
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

Geret said...

My Dad bought me Whiplash one year for St. Patrick's Day (yes, we were a family who celebrated everything) because Whiplash was the only toy that he could find that was green! :-)

Tyler Baker said...

Man I hope you plan on sharing more of your thoughts from childhood! Those cardbacks were like the 3d artwbooks from the 90's. I simply couldn't stop staring at them. I tend to do the same even today.

Vinto-Man said...

I cant recall looking at any of the card backs but i know i had a whole bunch of figures which my mother sadly gave away. Ive been very thankful to some of my listeners who have sent me figures free of charge. Some people are just too kind for words!

David Monid said...

James to Mattell Executive: So He-Mna is going into space/
Mattel Executive to James: Nope, we're saving that for a pre-planned re-launch of the franchise at the end of the decade.
James: Cool!
Mattel Executive: OK. We got the reaction we want it, in 1989 He-Man will be off to space.

I can imagine if a Mattel executive did tell you that when you were seven years old you would have fainted. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...