14 October 2010

Memories #15 - Technical difficulties...

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

Because the UK terrestrial channel ITV aired the He-Man series in batches, this meant that sometimes we would have to wait months for a new batch of episodes to air. When the series came back after a three month absence on the 1st September 1986, "Journey to Stone City" was the premiere episode. I remember being very excited that a new run of He-Man episodes was about to begin and so I prepared my VHS for this, the first new episode of the series. However, about five minutes into the broadcast something went wrong at ITV and all we saw for the remainder of the episode was a test card that stated "technical difficulties". I remember being very annoyed by this as a kid, because we had to wait roughly three years until the episode was shown as a rerun in order to see it in its entirety!


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

Mosquitor said...

I think we must have a psychic bond, James. Just the other day I was trying to remember which of the episodes was interrupted by technical difficulties, but couldn't remember. Now you've solved it for me!

I remember seeing Journey to Stone City in full when it was repeated, which I think was in the morning around Christmas '89 if I remember correctly.

Kevin Martinell said...

That would annoy any child who was into the series! For me, a three-year wait would have felt more like six, when it comes to something like this!
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

Geret said...

We would always go and visit my Aunt on weekends in a nearby city as a kid. She had cable and would get He-Man and She-Ra on Sunday mornings... but my parents always wanted to get home "in decent time" to get ready for work the next day. So halfway through He-Man they would drag me into the car to head 'er home. I was always so sad...

David Monid said...

Oh dear! Oh I know how technical difficulties can ruin a programme. But an entire episode though...that's really not good. You would have thought that the ITV technicians had probably gone on strike....again!

Perhaps though this was a sign of sorts, well since JMS who wrote this episode dosen't seem to care much about his earlier cartoon writing career, well ITV didn't care wearever or not this episode got aired, seeing as though after 10 minutes it came to an abrupt end and never was restored, perhaps it was a sign of the future, weird though huh?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...