18 October 2010

Memories #16 - My parents illustrated, too!

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

Some say I can draw, and to a degree I would agree with that. Looking back I would attribute all of my creativity to my parents. When I bought the Masters of the Universe action figures I would always keep the card backs. For some reason I used to ask my parents to illustrate the poses of the small character illustrations. And they would! My mother is an amazing artist, she had that talent passed down to her from her mother; my father was not an artist, but could still copy the character illustrations. They did this for a while, and I would trace the pose and re-draw it with a different character in place. Without a doubt tracing those characters at a very early age taught me the basic fundamentals of how to draw; or at least how to hold a pencil! I seem to remember that the illustration of Tri-Klops was the one I traced the most...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

8 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Great strategy. :) Can't remember the name of the story, but I first learned how to draw Prince Adam from the one with the heroes having a costume party and everyone thinking that Faker was He-Man painted blue!
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

El Blogiante said...

you should try to trace it now, just for the memories.

Dave said...

Only one logical follow-up to this post; let's see some Heather and Richard artwork!

Harry said...

That's great! My mom used to do the same thing for me! That is crazy.

Tyler Baker said...

I loved looking at the designs on the back of the mini comics! I always thought till 2nd grade that that was how Tri-Klops looked. I was a tad bummed but when I finally got him I didn't care. I still think that's the most top design.

Vinto-Man said...

That is super awesome of your parents to do this. A friend of my fathers came for dinner one evening. this gentleman (whose name i cant recall) would play the He-Man card game with my sister and myself. I really enjoyed this time!

David Monid said...

Awww it's great to hear these great family moments direct from the Eatock household. :)

You certanly got your artistic skills from your parents that's for sure. ;)

Daniel Quintero said...

The other day i was talking to my mother... and showing her a back card from Masters of the universe and I was explaining her how this great illustrations looked so real... I Allways Wanted the TriKlops, or the Weird Colors Ram Man... or the Soar...

I Absolutely Love that work and I Agree that made it part of my love for packaging design!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...