20 October 2010

Memories #17 - To be cotinued!

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

For those that know me personally, they have probably heard this story before. I remember watching "House of Shokoti" Part 1 as a kid and not realizing that it was going to be a two-part story; even though the title card at the beginning of the episode was a bit of a giveaway. The image of Shokoti's face at the end of the episode accompanied by Lou Scheimer's booming voice declaring "To be continued" took me by surprise. During the years that followed I was haunted by the image of Shokoti, and as I never caught the one rerun of the episode, it would last a lot longer than it should have. Into my teens and early adult life I still thought about the evil glowing face and questioned what episode of the series it was from. Back in early 1996, a few months after getting on-line, I struck up a friendship with a fellow named Scott White. He had a bulk of the He-Man series recorded from when it aired on the USA Network. The first thing he did was kindly put fifteen episodes of He-Man that I had not seen in years, and in some cases never seen, on a video cassette! The first episode on the tape was "House of Shokoti" Part 1. Imagine my joy upon seeing the end of that episode for the first time in over ten years!


(click on the images to see them at full-size)

4 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

You must have been in Seventh Heaven, James. :) It was a similar feeling for me when Filmation's "Ghostbusters" first appeared on DVD, plus I never caught some of those episodes before, when I first saw the series from childhood! A shame that the tail end of She-Ra's "Anchors Aloft Part 1" didn't also include the booming "To Be Continued" audio as well! :)
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

Tyler Baker said...

I could only see these episodes on the 2 part vhs that was avalaible to rent here in the U.S. I just dreaded it when that narrator said to be continued b/c I knew the story was about to get much scarier to me lol : )

Chris Sunday said...

Loved part 1 of the 2 part episode. But always felt kind of let down by the second half. Of course would be cool to see both episodes edited together into one!

David Monid said...

Shakoti in that shot looks a little like the Evil Spirit from the Care Bears Movie.....don't ask! :D

Ah yes this was the face that made you hide behind the sofa making you abandone your Coco Pops to fend off the moral and end credits alone. :D For me it was the Sinutab Skull and Face of Death, trust me if Skeletor had a mishapen skull like the one they used in those old adverts, I doubt I would have watched He-Man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...