04 November 2010

Memories #22 - He-Man returns in 1984!

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

As the He-Man series was shown in the UK in batches, sometimes months would pass by without any episodes. For example even though the UK was the first country in the world to air the He-Man series, only four episodes actually aired during September of 1983, with no more episodes shown for the remainder of the year! Another batch of episodes aired between January and March of 1984 and then the series took another hiatus. Months later I recall seeing a preview on a kids show introduced by UK comedian Tony Slattery. The show previewed a clip of Prince Adam falling through the sky, transforming into He-Man, and saving a flying disc-like ship. On the 30th July 1984 the He-Man series started again and the first episode was "A Friend in Need", which featured the aforementioned scene.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

3 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Loved how you superimposed the "I Have The Power" footage over the actual footage for the one video edit that you did for the old "Episode Review Website," based on this scene, James! :)
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

mermaidliz said...

Thank you so much for sharing your memories with us James :)
When I was kid back in the 90s, I remember that She-Ra reruns aired before He-Man ones. Not knowing that She-Ra was produced after He-Man, I'd always watch He-Man hoping that someday She-Ra would be in one of his episodes (just like they joined forces in some of her episodes).
Needless to say that I was very disappointed to see that in the end, this never happened. Now I know why ;)

David Monid said...

On the 30th of July 1984, I was probably screaming my head off as I was only nearly 2 months old. :D

That disc He-Man saved looks a little like a cD, perhaps there some technological foreshadowing at work here. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...