14 November 2010

Memories #25 - Mattel book on show.

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

Back in the day my local toy store really championed the Masters of the Universe toyline. Their display was nothing special, but they had a lot, and I do mean a lot, of the action figures, vehicles and playsets. One of the most interesting things they had on display was a book which was sadly not for sale. The cover featured the Masters of the Universe logo on a predominantly orange background. Inside were pictures of all the action figures released up to that point. Best of all though, many of them were actually prototypes and differed from the final designs. Over the years we have all seen the prototype images that appeared in the UK annual from 1984, but these were images of characters like Buzz-Off, Jitsu, Mekaneck, Webstor, Whiplash, etc. To this day I have never been able to find the book. I believe that this prototype of Jitsu, scanned by Emiliano Santalucia, was a part of the book. Maybe one day I will see it for sale somewhere...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Reminds me of two different versions of the Clawful action toy that I've seen from childhood. A friend of mine had one with the feet that looked like the feet to the Whiplash figure and the one that was mine had the feet that looked like the feet to the Mer-Man figure :)
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

Tyler Baker said...

Jitsu is one of the top evil warriors for me. I swear this is the only prototype I have never liked! A human w webstor's feet could never work!

Vinto-Man said...

I really hope that you come across this book James. Its strange what we remember from our childhood. My dad always laughs at what i remember!

David Monid said...

Green Blade Jitsu, coming soon to a toy shop near you! :D

It would be odd if a variant of Jitsu was produced, seeing as though due to hischaracter he only appeared once in the cartoon. For some kids getting an unusual action figure that didn't appear on the show, may not be that special, but if it was a chracter who did appear on the show, then to a child it would be like 'Wow it's just like the cartoon'. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...