19 November 2010

Memories #27 - Jennings...

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

When I was a kid our local toy store Jennings was by far my most favorite place to visit. It was a very small, very traditional shop, but it was absolutely packed out with all the latest toys! Their Masters of the Universe display was not a display as such, but a rack that awkwardly divided the tiny shop. This rack in particular was loaded with Masters of the Universe figures to the point that if you were to try and grab one, you would have to quite literally wade through the dense forestry of the other carded figures! It was always a nice surprise to venture into the shop only to see a new wave of figures I knew nothing about. Remember folks, this was before the days of the Internet. I remember walking in one day and suddenly there was Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Moss Man, Spikor, Sy-Klone, Thunderpunch He-Man, Two Bad, etc. The first thing I would always do is look at the back of the cards to see the other new figures that were available. In late 1996 I actually went back to Jennings for the first time in years and purchased numerous carded Masters of the Universe figures. I wish I had a photo of the Jennings toy store in the eighties. It was like a magical grotto!


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

6 comments:

Mosquitor said...

I still remember my excitement upon looking at the card backs in Tesco in 1985 and seeing how many new figures there were, with characters such as Moss Man, Sy-Klone and Two Bad... the designs of these characters struck me as particularly surreal, and I was all the more excited for it!

In time I got most of my MOTU figures from Zodiac Toys, which I think went out of business around the early 90s.

Interesting how Jennings still had MOTU figures as late as 1996! I think the latest time I saw MOTU toys on the shelves was in 1995, when Toys 'R' Us in Chester still had the Megalaser and Stilt Stalkers, which had been warming the pegs for years!

Kevin Martinell said...

The store in our town was named, "Quality Mart" ... It became a restaurant in the 1990's, but I pretty much had the same experience! Good times. :)
Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

MOTU Portugal said...

My passion for Motu came for that vary reason. The card backs and the saturdays playing with my brother and a neighbor with motu figures. That time the figures where in a big paper box in a huge pile...

Unfortunately he toys where all from that neighbor cause we where very poor so me and my brother started to ask for christmas motu figures cause it was the only time we could have toys so the late November days and all days until 25 December we spent hours watching store shelfs dreaming with all that motu toys and finding the perfect 2 cause between them and another 2 would pass an all year.

As we where really poor I started to work when I was 12 but then my parents stopped giving me Christmas presents by then so a few years later I managed to get some money for me and went hunting for Motu on stores but it was too late (I was 16 then and the line already went off).

So I know how it feels that nostalgia feeling of seeing Motu on a store shelf...

To finish I just wanted to say that today I'm collecting Motu classics so I still have hope to one day I achieve my biggest childhood dream of having the complete Motu line.

(Great entry on your blog... it makes me remember and feel a lot of things from my childhood days)

Chris Sunday said...

I so remember MOTU figures being under $5. I remember going to either Montgomery Wards or Zayres department stores usually on a Friday afternoon after school. Using my $10 allowance and buying MOTU. I miss those days! I wish stores here in the states still had MOTU then. I would have bought them! They did have them at KB Toys, but they got rid of them quickly.

David Monid said...

Awww, Jennings was to you like my local Woolworths was to me. :D

I doubt the shop still exsists now, if it does though, I'll probably be tempted to visit it. :)

Vinto-Man said...

Its so refreshing to hear stories about buying the figures in the day when they were released. I remember Stewart Millars (toymaster) was my local place but i only remember the Star Wars layout.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...