28 November 2010

Memories #30 - The saga of Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops!

In an effort to make a note of all my He-Man and She-Ra childhood memories I've decided that every once in a while I will make reference to them here! There is no particular order to these; just amusing little anecdotes from years gone by.

If you were to mention to my father the names of Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops no doubt the first thing he will recall is how impossible those two action figures were to obtain! Strangely, even though our local toy store Jennings had pretty much every single Masters of the Universe figure, Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops were rarely ever stocked; or simply sold out incredibly fast! Eventually we had to travel an hour or so away to a toy store in Potters Bar, just outside of London. When we arrived at the toy store I remember being overjoyed upon seeing both Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops in stock. This may be why the two of them became my favorite villains in the Filmation cartoon...

7 comments:

Mosquitor said...

I seem to remember noting the scarcity of these two figures as well. I never had Trap Jaw until 1989, when my Mum bought him for me, non-carded, as a Christmas present from a charity shop. As for Tri-Klops, I never had him until 2002 when I got him from a shop in Manchester's Coliseum shopping centre that sold second hand 80s toys!

I think a lot of those early figures were very popular with toy buyers, so they ended up being more scarce on the shelves than you'd expect. I should have had Trap Jaw back in 1985 when I ordered him from the MOTU fan club, turned out they'd run out of Trap Jaw figures but rather than offer me a second option they just sent me Zodac instead, who I already had! We sent him back and asked for Zoar as replacement for Trap Jaw, and they never responded!

HB Potlood said...

In my neck of the woods it was the other way around. He-Man and Skeletor were impossible to find, so I collected a bunch of suporting characters including Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw (and even Prince Adam) before I got the main two.

Kevin Martinell said...

Those two worked together well in episodes like "Quest for He-Man" and "Secret of the Sword." :) The Teela and Man-At-Arms action toys were tough for my parents to find, yet they tracked them down while on a vacation in Scotland! That was my memory of a "tough find." :) Glad that the other store had what you were looking for, James! Thanks for reading! God Bless!
~"KevyGuy" :)
* * * * * * *

Geret said...

I'm from Canada and remember going to the States with my parents where I FINALLY found an Evil Lyn! I remember begging my Mom to buy me two of them so I could keep one in the package! She said "no". I think she may regret that today!!!

Vinto-Man said...

I remember owning Trap Jaw and one of my memories is that a shopping centre burnt down and sadly i left Trap-Jaws weapons there....never to get them back! Sad times but loved reading your memories James

David Monid said...

So, you wound upo going to Potters Bar for Tri-Klops and Trap-Jaw, where there was a perfectily good Toys 'R Us in Great Cambridge Way (Yes I've been there :D)

Mind you though I guess back then independent toy shops didn't charge as much as Toys R Us, which nowadays is now more likely to be the opposite? Interesting.

Daniel Quintero said...

I used to have a Trap Jaw... but i only saw Triklops in the cartoons and at the back of the Minicomics...

When i finally got my hands in a triklops I was so Happy!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...