22 January 2011

A brief review #002 - "The Shaping Staff"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "The Shaping Staff"...

The first act of this episode features some truly wonderful storytelling and direction. The mystery that surrounds Magestra upon her arrival at the Royal Palace is accompanied by some incredibly haunting music. All of the scenes at the palace are memorable, with each one bringing a new dimension to the story. However, after He-Man is turned into a golden statue, the episode begins to falter; what started out as a great story with the possibility of becoming a classic, descends into an almost desperate series of events. Skeletor's creation and usage of Faker is laughable, and even though his battle with He-Man is entertaining, sadly the episode never truly recovers. 6/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

5 comments:

Grimbot said...

5/10

What bugs me besides Faker is the apparent presence of goats and crickets on Eternia. As if the writer forgot that Eternia is not Earth, but an alien planet.

Kevin Martinell said...

No less than a 9/10 rating for me. The episode was very entertaining and crammed a lot into it. Obviously, the Faker scene was a standout for me, and fans of the series may say that a whole episode based on Faker should have been written ... An episode featuring a revived and "new and improved" Faker, featuring the colors of the action toy, would have been right up my alley! Teela being transformed into a frog was a huge surprise for me! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

mermaidliz said...

Well He-Man turning into a statue and the Sorceress turning into a tree was kind of unexpected. The silliest part for me was the Sorceress breaking the spell and freeing everyone. However, I still do not consider this episode to be as bad as the ending of the Diamond Ray of Disappearance. I'd say it's a good episode overall so I'd give it an 8 0r even a 9/10 :)

Brett said...

This is a wonderful episode, especially between the audience being unaware of Magestra and (faux-)Randor's true identities for so long, and the then the battle at Grayskull! I always wished they'd explored the dynamic between the Sorceress and Evil-Lyn a bit more!

Daniel Quintero said...

I allways liked oko's cricket look!! it was kinda funny!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...