18 January 2011

Some stock should not be reused!

Everyone knows that Filmation were both famous and infamous for their stock animation systems. More than often it would work in a positive way for the production by creating a style that was rarely if ever broken during the episode. However, it could also work to the detriment of the episode. In production order "The Cosmic Comet" was the first episode of the series, and "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" was the fourth. Somewhat astoundingly they both contain the same piece of animation featuring He-Man defeating Beast Man in battle outside of Castle Grayskull! The first three images are from "The Cosmic Comet", and the second three are from "Diamond Ray of Disappearance". Tut-tut, Filmation...



(click on the images to see them at full-size)

6 comments:

ahl-vah-roh said...

I remember watching it and thinking... "this happened before."

Zerinza said...

He-Man looks rather mean-spirited in this, doesn't he?

Kevin Martinell said...

That's true, but it was fun to watch it again, all the same. :) I get a kick out of how Beast-Man falls into the mud in "The Cosmic Comet," while most episodes acknowledge that Castle Grayskull is surrounded by the Abyss, not a mud pit! Thanks for reading and God Bless! *I will be cancelling my MySpace account due to the service freezing up my computer, so my link will no longer work ... Please find me on Facebook if you want to talk He-Man, especially "Filmation He-Man!"
~Best regards from Kevin Martinell ("KevyGuy") :)

mermaidliz said...

I think it's a cute scene :-p I wouldn't have minded if they had found another one to replace it with, though :)

Buzz Chuck said...

I have a question for you about cels and the stock system. Did they just recopy the drawing and paint new cels, or did they save the painted cels and rephotograph them? I've seen a few cels that say "stock" on them instead of having the usual episode and scene numbering system. It kind of got me thinking.

Vinto-Man said...

Yeah i remember watching this and thinking, have i seen this before and i had. tut tut indeed James!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...