14 July 2011

A brief review #011 - "Masks of Power"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "Masks of Power"...

The first few minutes of this episode almost effortlessly create a strong air of suspense and mystery; with the heroes discovering the City of the Ancients. As soon as Demos and Tyrella appear we are treated to numerous action scenes at breakneck speed. Not only do we get all this action, but at Castle Grayskull we are lessoned in the history of Eternia. The fact that the Sword of the Ancients is located deep within Snake Mountain is a great plot twist. There is a moment during the story where the pace seems to slow down, but when He-Man and Man-At-Arms face off with Demos and Tyrella, we find that the episode delivers exactly what we are expecting. 6/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

6 comments:

Joe said...

are you gonna reprint your book? come on... a 1000 copies is a ridiculous number! I understand you self-publish but still... well, you know. I want a copy!

Heath Breitenbach said...

.....I don't like that sword talking.....Other than that, it is an OK episode.

Kevin Martinell said...

Between "Above Average" and "Great" for me, with this episode. I just love the beauty of the jungle setting, in the intro, followed by a breathtaking panning view of the City of the Ancients, on the other side of the woods! The battle with the monster "Aru" was entertaining, and I get a kick out of He-Man's remark, "Past your bedtime," at the conclusion of that scene. :) I also found it amusing that when Skeletor called for Beast-Man and Evil-Lyn, we were introduced to the guest characters instead! Finally, the merging of the two swords was incredible. :) A very satisfying episode for me ... I'd give it a ten! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Chris (He-Fan) said...

This episode wins for me on several levels - the biggest of those levels being that it really builds on the concept of Eternia being a mystical, wondrous planet where pretty much anything can happen, and which possesses a rich mythology. The writers of the Filmation show seemed to realise what a gem they had in Eternia, a location which would allow virtually ANYTHING to happen - they actually helped make the location a co-star of the show! :)

This episode is probably a 7/10 or even an 8/10 for me! :)

Sebastian Vogl said...

I rank the episode very low at a 3/10 for the sole reason that I totally hated Demos and Tyrella's designs. The minicomic with its demons entertains me much more than this episode's grumpy old couple from above the street.

HB Potlood said...

A couple of unique things in this episode: First there was Man-At-Arms referring to Orko as an ‘alien’ (which I suppose he is) and Orko having the power of flight knocked out of him. Then He-Man using ‘The Power of Grayskull’ oath as a way to accentuate his speech. And near the end, a whimsical piano version of the Motu theme plays. It sounded like the end of every episode of the Incredible Hulk (1978). Also all these villains forcing others to bow down before them felt like something you would only see in one of the earlier adventures. 7 out of 10 from me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...