26 September 2011

A mighty effort!

There's nothing quite like a Don Manuel storyboard! In this illustrated sequence from the episode "Disappearing Dragons" we see the moment when He-Man is bound by the giant robot Bellatron. What I love about Don's illustration is that he focuses on the extreme frames showing He-Man struggling, and succeeding, to break free of his bonds! Fortunately the animation in the episode was just as striking as these images! So much so that I actually purchased a group of cels from this sequence...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

6 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

The second-to-last image was the highlight for me. :) This was one of the worst moments for me in the He-Man series, because a short while later, He-Man "loses" to Bellatron by running right into the robot's energy beams, with only Granamyr to save He-Man from near death via Bellatron's buzz saws! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Fabian said...

Don Manuel loved to put in lots of energy into his storyboards. It really translated well into the episode. A wonderful effort.

Tyler Baker said...

This sequence is one that stuck out in my head alot more as I got older, particularly how great the animation looks!

Tyler Baker said...

I have the audio from this episode on my ipod, and like listening to this sequence while I'm lifting to motivate me as if I'm He-Man breaking Beletron's grip!

Tyler Baker said...

I'd argue its one of the if not the best fight sequence He-Man has w a robot in the entire series! Very simple but effective moves on Bellatron's part. I'd get so upset as a child when his beams hit He-Man b/c it seemed like such a small thing was holding He-Man back

Tyler Baker said...

I'd like to see more of this episode get more blog time! Anything from the characters introduced, to facial expressions (watching KK and Webstor in shock when He-Man lifts up Bellatron is my favorite!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...