27 November 2011

Trap-Jaw explodes!

Here is a fantastic illustration from the Masters of the Universe minicomic "The Menace of Trap Jaw!" Mark Texeira's illustrative work on these minicomics was always of a high standard, and we can see here his expert use of blacks across the front of Trap Jaw to make the explosion stand out more against the figure in the foreground. The explosion itself is drawn with incredible fury, and the striking lines all around the image just add to the impact of this one panel!


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

6 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Very much agreed on all of the detail ... Plus, it never hurts to use "sunset colors" in an explosion too! :) "KevyGuy" :)

Daimar said...

hi james, excellent capture! I developed a report on the various accessories jaw trap, I'll leave the link:
http://eternia.nuevadominion.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=4312
I send a big hello!

Sebastian Vogl said...

I always envisioned that scene to be the reason for Trap Jaw's final look (blue skin & green face). The power of Grayskull changing him could've made an interesting additional reason for him staying with Skeletor in order to conquer the castle.

chosen1heath@me.com said...

This is kind of a powerful picture. Usually I don't think of the villains and the heroes featuring actual death or injury. I remember the mini comics, but what I mostly remember was the filmation cartoon, which really capped off the possibilities for violence a lot of times. I love this picture, however. As an adult, I have read all of the minicomics I can, including the early mineternia ones, and have really come to appreciate them for their raw primal elements.

Fabian said...

I remember this page when I was a kid. It had a big effect on me. It is such a dynamic and awesome piece, that I will never forget it.

SirBush said...

No no no. I'm not having it. I love Trappy! Then again, this guy seems to have green legs and a green torso - in fact, he's pretty much a totally green person. That's not Trap Jaw, in my eyes, so he lives on! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...