05 December 2011

A brief review #019 - "Quest for He-man"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "Quest for He-man"...

An episode that features such ludicrous colorful characters, combined with a plot detailing the slow decay of a planet sounds like an odd mix. Yet, this episode somehow manages to make it work. Paul Dini, who often delights in character-driven episodes, delivers one that feels like a traditional Saturday morning cartoon. Surprisingly the story of He-Man suffering from amnesia and meeting the strange inhabitants of Trannis becomes the sub-plot. This is because the moment Cringer, Orko, and Ram Man enter the Time Corridor we realize that it is they who are the stars of this episode. Their endearing misadventures make us warm greatly to this crazy-looking episode. 7/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

6 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

James, I totally agree on everything you've said! I like how this episode opens up with Skeletor and his allies (Like on most occasions, plus we get a break from seeing the usual Beast-Man working with Skeletor ... We get Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops! Evil-Lyn is always nice to have, working alongside Skeletor, as well!), and his plan to "capture" and "get rid of" He-Man is great! He-Man losing his memory is a great plot, as well as the "pollution" moral message. Plus, Cringer, Orko, and Ram Man really work well together in their effort to rescue He-Man. Also nice to see an appearance from Zodac. :) One of my favorite scenes is when Orko gives He-Man his sword back ... Everything becomes so happy, plus I enjoy watching the upcoming action scenes. :) The guest characters all get a chance to shine, as well! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Chris (He-Fan) said...

LOL, I think this episode is one of the few things He-Man related that we seriously disagree upon! ;)

I have a lot of happy memories of watching this episode and so it scores for that reason, but as a shining example of Filmation's He-Man at its very best (which is what it was heralded as via its inclusion in the "Best Of" DVD that came out in 2005), for me it leaves a lot to be desired. 5/10 for me I'm afraid! :)

Tyler Baker said...

For me honestly this was the shining part of this episode! Seeing Skeletor win so effortlessly, and the look on his face as he takes away He-Man's memory shows great ego! This could've been the whole episode, we didn't need Plundor or anything else that followed, including Rabbit Robots!

chosen1heath@me.com said...

I loved this episode! Those crazy aliens with multiple arms and things, and the way that they talked and reasoned. I thought it was cool that we got to see Zodac, and also that Cringer, Orko, and Ram-Man were the main characters this time.

Joni Koivisto said...

This is one of the episodes, I saw many time in my childhood, but I never owned the VHS containing this episode. But my my friend next door did own that specific VHS, I once borrow it from him and kept it about a year, before returning (my friend wasn't happy at all). This episode was the first one on that tape and the part before He-Man was captured by Skeletor was pretty much completely corrupted, so when I got the DVD's some years ago, the first minutes of this episode were completely new to me. By the power of nostalgia, this episode gets 7/10 from me.

SirBush said...

Woah. An episode where He-man is not the main protagonist? Whatever will I hear about next? Hehe. I seriously can't believe that happened, but will watch with interest at how often it did happen during my current viewing of the series!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...