17 December 2011

A brief review #020 - "Dawn of Dragoon"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "Dawn of Dragoon"...

Instead of treating the Orko like a mischievous child, or using him as comic relief, Robby London gives Orko a three-dimensional personality and a history that makes us sit up and take notice. The character interaction between he and Dree Elle is, at times, beautifully scripted, and we get a sense that these two cartoon characters actually do love one another. The sub-plot with Prince Adam unable to transform into He-Man is paced incredibly well with the resolution being a one of the most memorable moments of the series. Of course one of the series' best scenes occurs when Orko and Dree Elle reveal their faces to one another. Orko's homeworld was revisited numerous times during the series, but no other episode did it as perfectly as this. 8/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

8 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Everything you've mentioned is right on target, James. :) The "Maybe saving lives is better" scene, between He-Man and Dragoon, was a nice scene. Prince Adam's remark towards Orko being in love is amusing as well, "Boy is he laying it on thick!" :) This is also probably the only (or one of the few) occasions where Man-At-Arms praises Orko instead of getting mad or frustrated with the magician when a magic trick goes wrong and Duncan is the victim. :) Definitely at least an 8/10 rating ... The episode is perfect enough for me! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Chris (He-Fan) said...

Probably either a 7/10 or 8/10 for me - this episode is a great illustration both of why Filmation was such fun and also had such great heart. It loses points for me just because we never actually saw Orko's face! ;)

"Grayskull Of Power The By!" :) (Shouldn't that technically have been "Lluksyarg Fo Rewop Eht Yb"??)

chosen1heath@me.com said...

I agree that the whole thing about them revealing their faces to each other is very touching. This is an awesome episode, with Dragoon and Dre-elle and all. I would have given it every bit of 8/10!

Tyler Baker said...

I rate dawn of dragoon in the top 20 no doubt about it! My favorite part has always been the actual squaring off with He-Man and Dragoon. I get chills when He-Man pulls Dragoon back to safety and the shuki levy's music w the mysterious tone kicks in as Dragoon asks why He-Man saved his life! Make that top 10!!!

David Monid said...

Ah this takes me back to when my friend had an Orko action figure and we would both take off his hat and say 'What's that horrible thing'?! :D

Seriously though, I'm sure Orko looked handsome, at least to Dree Elle he does. :)

Vinto-Man said...

I really enjoyed this episode and seeing Adam doing the transformation after saying the iconic catchphrase backwards. I would say this would get an 8/10. I actually thought for ages, this was how He-Man transformed back into Adam.

Joni Koivisto said...

As a child I used to dislike episodes without Skeletor, but this was an exception to that rule. What I liked of this episode was the fact that we saw Trolla (and some other Trollans). At first, I might have not like Dree-Elle or Dragoon more than any other supporting character, over the last couple of decades, both of them have grown on me and Dree-Elle is my most wanted Filmation only character I'd like to be released in the current MOTUC line. My score for this episode: 8/10.

SirBush said...

I can't watch this episode because my disc is scratched. Urgh. How about a long review instead of a brief one? Hehe. Are they like this in your book, by the way?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...