16 December 2011

Crashing through crystal!

Here is a beautiful illustration from the 1985 UK Masters of the Universe annual. This annual featured a consistent style of illustration where watercolors were clearly the order of the day. This powerful image shows He-Man, having just appeared on the scene, smashing through a crystal cage that had imprisoned his alter-ego for a time. Although not obvious in this illustration, this annual featured a lot of illustrations that had He-Man with very long hair; when compared to his Filmation hairstyle anyway...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

7 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Reminds me of the MYP 2002 version of He-Man. :) In "Double Edged Sword," He-Man makes this same pose when he breaks out from under a rock structure whilst battling Trap-Jaw! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Chris (He-Fan) said...

A lot of those early UK Annuals remind me a LOT of Mattel's original concept for MOTU, which is interesting when you consider that some of them came out whilst the Filmation continuity was very much in evidence - doesn't one of the annual stories have Skeletor demanding that He-Man give him the other half of the Power Sword?? :)

chosen1heath@me.com said...

Crystal ALWAYS made an impression on me as a kid. He-Man busting it here is cool. But I really loved the crystal that encased Roboto's insides, the yellow Power sword reminded me so much of crystal that I used to pretend that it was transformed into crystal somehow. And I love how the MYP cartoon had all that crystal stuff inside Grayskull. So I really love this illustration.

Aldebaran said...

He-Man just looks like a rocker from the good old hair-metal era ;)

Fabian said...

I love these kinds of renderings of He-man. I wish there were a lot more of these kinds of renderings of the Most Powerful Man in the Universe.

SirBush said...

So I have to ask. If his alter-ego was trapped inside the crystal, then how on earth did he pull out the Power Sword in order to change into He-man? Was it more like a chamber encased with crystal than a solid block?

joseephus said...

That is just some beautiful artwork. Almost looks like He-Man is ready to fly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...