17 January 2012

Beast Man turns up the heat.

Here are a couple of beautifully illustrated panels of Beast Man by Rich Chidlaw from the storyboards to the season one He-Man episode "The Region of Ice". The rendering of the villain in these panels is superb, as is the cross-hatching and grey marker shading. Looking at these panels you would think that the final scene would actually have shadows, but sadly Filmation opted to keep the basic flat colors on show.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

6 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

That's right! I like how Beast-Man makes a face like he smells something really bad, in the second image. :) ~"KevyGuy" :)

joseephus said...

I absolutely love seeing these behind the scenes panels. And it would have been incredible to have all the shading and extra details in the cartoon. That is the one thing I wish they would have used more of in the cartoon.

chosen1heath@me.com said...

I also love the attention to detail in these images. It is a shame that the cartoon just used canned images most of the time.

Brandon Benge said...

Beast Man's more humped up back here reminds me of how he was animated in the Mike Young show. I doubt these particular panels had any influence for the later show, but it is an interesting coincidence.

LJM said...

Makes me wish I could watch episodes or scenes like this in animatic format.

SirBush said...

Before looking at these up close, I thought they really looked like the 200x cartoon version of Beast Man. I see another commenter feels the same way, yet this was obviously drawn way before the conception of that show. How strange!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...