19 February 2012

A brief review #022 - "Song of Celice"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "Song of Celice"...

This episode has all the makings of a great one, but somehow it falls short. The basic premise itself is wonderful, but too many opportunities are passed by. Instead of seeing more of Celice and the danger Tahryn faces by her absence, we are treated to an out of place sub-plot involving Teela attempting to find and rescue her father. The scenes at Snake Mountain with Celice falling under the command of Skeletor are good, but by contrast the scenes of He-Man and his friends following Yog are not. The final confrontation at Castle Grayskull should feel like an event, but it feels like something is missing. Yog's all-too-brief brief battle with He-Man pretty much sums up the episode. 4/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

4 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

James, you bring up really good concerns and observations. Took me a while to really enjoy this episode like most of the others, so it grew on me with each viewing. I was satisfied with the episode, on the whole. It was true that there were many different action scenes, but they were all entertaining. It looked as though He-Man could handle anything during the episode, while in other episodes like "Quest for He-Man," "House of Shokoti Part Two," and "Disappearing Dragons," he needed help from friends to save his life. I guess that could be a criticism for the episode, as He-Man going through a tough challenge is always a bonus and adds more drama to an episode. A shame that Trap-Jaw vanished from the second half of the episode and was replaced by the all-too familiar Beast Man. At least Trap-Jaw had some great action scenes showing off his arm attachments, when he teamed up with Evil-Lyn, early in the episode. Beast Man's greatest moment was when he used his powers to summon the Giant Crawler to capture Man-At-Arms. I also have to laugh at a very quick shot of Beast Man and Man-At-Arms looking as though they were about to attack each other with a boulder and a log, but it just looked like they were posing for the camera. :) For me, my greatest criticism had to be when we see Teela appear to be jealous of Celice, when she says, "Nice trick! What else can you do?" It all ends there, but wouldn't it have been interesting if this angle of the episode was explored more? It would probably have led to some amusing dialog between Teela and Prince Adam! Celice received some really good show-time and I like how her singing had a ghostly sound to it ... Spooky! Once again, this was a great episode for both Skeletor and Evil-Lyn, showcasing how evil they really can be, and their ability to use mind-control spells on their victims ... One of the worst fates for the Heroic Warriors, in my opinion! Lastly, I got a chuckle out of Skeletor getting temporarily trapped in the bubble that He-Man created. :) A near perfect rating for me, and how could I forget ... Lizard Man, one of my favorite guest characters in the series, made an appearance, once more. :) Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

HB Potlood said...

Hey James, I see your guide is about to be reprinted. Will you be changing anything for the new version? Because I have a little tidbit for you: The UK airdate for episode 1.56 Quest for the Sword was February 17 1986. I know this for a fact because I made notes about this particular story in a diary at the time. In your book, this airdate is given to the previous episode, Eye of the Beholder. Unfortunately I don't know the correct airdate for that one.

Guillermo Gonzalez said...

Hi, first let me tell I love your blog, it´s beyond awesome. I have a questtion, I know you are about to reissue your unofficial guide, are you considering a digital/downloable version?

HB Potlood said...

For me the episode started off a bit slow with all the new characters, but the action packed finale at Castle Grayskull more than made up for it! I didn’t mind Teela and Man-At-Arm’s subplot at all, since it gave all the characters something to do. Even Beast Man got to show off his powers of telepathy. And how about Evil-Lyn putting a spell on Celice so she can put a spell on The Sorceress by way of Erika Scheimer’s singing voice?! Also, I thought the Yor was impressive enough with just a couple of tentacles sticking out of the ground, yet we got to see the entire thing anyway. And He-Man even pointed it out and said Yog’s name before he threw them into the abyss. Haha. So I’ll give Song of Celice 8 out of 10.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...