03 February 2012

A villainous moonlight stroll #1

Here is the first of three wonderfully atmospheric illustrations featuring Catra and Clawdeen from the story "The Lost River", which was featured in the rarely-seen four story She-Ra Ladybird compilation book. Artist Glenn Steward utilizes the color palette beautifully to create a striking nightime scene that is bathed in an eerie glow from the moonlight. Notice that only Catra and Clawdeen are given an outline, whereas the background is rendered with no visible outline. I love the way in which the evil twosome are strolling along a narrow path. I should make mention that the tree in the foreground creates a fantastic sense of depth.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Catra is dressed like an actor from the "Cats" Broadway production. :) I get a kick out of how she is described as the "mischief-maker." :) I agree with everything you said, James, plus I love how realistic the mountains and trees look! Beautiful job that the artist did with the different shades of blue! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Aldebaran said...

A very moody pic. And I love how Catra prances about. She looks so confident.

Miss M said...

Wow I am loving this picture. I also love how this Catra is similar to the Scratchin' Sound Catra toy. I love that version of her.

The thing that has me interested in this picture is what Catra's face looks like. You just know she is up to something and it looks like she is relishing every moment of her dastardly plan. Thanks for sharing this James!

joseephus said...

This is a very nicely drawn piece. I always wanted to get the She-Ra Ladybird books. On a sidenote, I consider Clawdeen to be a female, but many consider Clawdeen a male. Was it ever stated in any Filmation notes what Clawdeen was?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...