08 February 2012

A villainous moonlight stroll #3

Here is the third of three wonderfully atmospheric illustrations featuring Catra and Clawdeen from the story "The Lost River", which was featured in the rarely-seen four story She-Ra Ladybird compilation book. Artist Glenn Steward utilizes the color palette beautifully to create a striking nightime scene that is bathed in an eerie glow from the moonlight. Notice that only Catra and Clawdeen are given an outline, whereas the background is rendered with no visible outline. Due the moon being located behind the two characters we see a wonderful use of shadows in this piece. With the light source being behind them we see that the pair are given highlights. Also, notice the way in which Catra casts a shadow across the rock formations near her; a nice example of attention to detail.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Clawdeen looks so happy. :) I also like the faint outline of the moon, indicating where it is, as well as the use of clouds! Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

joseephus said...

I love the background art, but something about Clawdeen freaks me out. She looks way too happy!

Miss M said...

I love this picture. The way the moon is painted, everything looks like it leaps off the page. I want to see this scene animated.

cat_cube said...

Hiya Busta! It's me again who only posted once before in your blog earlier. I don't remeber which entry it was, but no matter...

Okay, this is very strange coming from me... I don't think I'm long for this world, though I'm still fighting to stay alive. :)

So anyway, I just wanted to take the oppurtinty to thank you for your lovely contribution to the animation community. I loved reading your insightful entries on the He-man series, and also the articles you wrote on Cereal Geek. They were awesome reads to someone like me, and made me appreciate the shows I grew up with even more. :)

The Filmation He-man was the first cartoon I ever got into when I was about four years old, and to this day it holds a special place in my heart for igniting my love both animation and comics. I always dreamed of getting into animation someday myself. I even started practicing animating stuff, and I even started to understand the process a little. Though I deeply regret that I didn't study more when I was younger...

Still, I'm hoping I can beat this thing and come back doing the thing I love most and try to make people happy as best I can.

Well... if you don't hear from me again, then it's been swell no matter how brief this moment was, Busta. :)

And to all you other guys who contribute to this blog. You guys are all awesome too. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...