11 April 2012

A brief review #024 - "Wizard of Stone Mountain"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "Wizard of Stone Mountain"...

Once more, Paul Dini gets a chance to write for Teela, and once more he makes the character shine; her relationship with Mallek is one of the most memorable of the series. Mallek himself is a great guest character. From his opening scenes to his foolish bargain, we get a sense that this is a man who is not thinking clearly. He-Man's confrontation with the Spirit of Evil is incredibly well-scripted; not only does it take the dynamic of good versus evil to a new level, but we learn just how deep He-Man's goodness runs. What Paul Dini does with this episode is write a love story like no other. A love story that involves three people, the rescuing of a man's soul, and the Spirit of Evil. 7/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

7 comments:

Mosquitor said...

For me, one of the finest episodes of season 1.

Kevin Martinell said...

James, I couldn't have said it better in regard to this episode. Teela is the main star in this episode, and I got a kick out of how she got mad for every time that Prince Adam/He-Man and Ram-Man teased her about Mallek being her "old boyfriend." :) The flashback sequence between the two characters was great too. The Spirit of Evil was the perfect representation of Satan, in this episode, and I thought that his presence seemed even more frightening and threatening than Skeletor. I also like the gag at the very end, when Teela teased He-Man about growing fond of working with Ram-Man, as well as Ram-Man's remark: "When you've got it you've got it!" I'd probably give this episode the same rating or a little bit higher. :) Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Grimbot said...

I've got a mixed feeling about this episode. The Spirit of evil seems to be the devil whiiiich I think is a bad idea for He-Man to confront. I mean, if he can defeat the ultimate evil, then there's really no challenge big enough to He-Man.

HB Potlood said...

haha you picked the perfect shot to vidcap there. So many details that go by too quickly in the show. The Wizard of Stone Mountain is a classic episode, despite the absence of the Evil Warriors. On the other hand, it has the ultimate spirit of evil in it with the goofy face. And recenlty there a fan film remake was made. I wonder what your thoughts are about that?
oh almost forgot my rating: 8 out of 10

Sebastian Vogl said...

I never saw that episode as a kid. As an adult, I considered it a "surprise hit". At the beginning, I expected a somewhat lame "Filmation villain of the day" episode, but Paul Dini delivered a great story. I'm willing to give it a 8/10.

chosen1heath@me.com said...

No way. Wizard of Stone Mountain deserves 10/10. You just said "It is a love story involving 3 people, saving a man's soul, and the spirit of evil." That description alone defies the odds, considering the generally more lighthearted nature of the old filmation cartoon.

Chris Sunday said...

I do find it funny how un lady like Teela is sitting in this image! LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...