16 June 2012

FILMATION ART: The remains of Spydra's castle.

For the last sixteen years I have collected He-Man and She-Ra animation artwork. As a result I have amassed a pretty large collection! Even though I have scanned in storyboards and random cels for this Blog I have yet to feature any of the original production backgrounds I own. Today, I change that! Here I present a piece of original background artwork from the He-Man episode "The Return of Orko's Uncle" showing the remains of Spydra's castle; Orko having destroyed it in a fit of excitement. One of the things I love about this piece, aside from all the detail on the ground are the beautifully illustrated mountains in the distance; something that is prominent in many a Filmation background.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

And here is how the background was used in the episode...

2 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

This was always one of the most far-fetched, over-the-top scenes in the He-Man series! I agree with you about the mountains, James. :) The structure on the left, which looks like some kind of pavilion, looks neat too! :)

David Monid said...

Very awsome background.

That is quite the rareity too as I can't recall that being used in any other episode? But knowing Filmation they're are probably elements of that scenery re-used somewhere. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...