19 July 2012

Skeletor card art.

When I was young, and even to do this day, I absolutely loved the miniscule pieces of artwork featured on the initial cardbacks of the Masters of the Universe figures. The illustrations of the characters looking somewhat different to their produced action figures used to fascinate me, even though they were no bigger than a postage stamp! As the line continued these illustrations would match the figures a great deal more in both design and pose. In this beautiful illustration of Skeletor we can see that he is posed a lot less like the figure, with details not found on the action figure produced.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

4 comments:

ToonJukka said...

Any info on who was the artist on these cardback-illustrations? :)

Kevin Martinell said...

If I can remember, I think that the legs were bent more for the action toy than the illustrations, but this is one of the best illustrations. Tri-Klops holding his sword was another great one! :)

David Monid said...

Ah the magic of card artwork. Sometimes they can look more epic then the toys themselves, but that's because so many talented artists put so much effort into them.

I see Skeletor would rather beat He-Man with his Havoc Staff then with his purple Power Sword anyday. ;)

Miss M said...

I love the card art for MOTU and POP. There were times where looking at the card art was more fun than playing with the toys. I think the card art really helped bring life to the toys in a way that truly made MOTU and POP so special.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...