10 October 2012

Star Comics cereal:geek article #3

As many of you will know I continue to self-publish cereal:geek magazine; the one-hundred page glossy magazine dedicated to the cartoons of the eighties. I have incredibly talented individuals write articles for the magazine. However, when I required an article covering the Masters of the Universe comic book published by Marvel's Star Comics imprint I knew I had to write this article myself, given that I have such strong views on this series! As I have rarely covered the Star Comics series on this Blog I thought it would be good to showcase the article I wrote for the magazine across a group of posts.

So here I present the third part of the article...

The first eight issues of the Masters of the Universe comic truly embody what people perceive the cartoon to be; one giant toy advert. The closest we actually come to a decent story in the first eight issues occurs in issue seven when King Randor desires to become a warrior again. Although poorly executed we do get some interesting moments and uses of characters, such as Scare Glow fooling the heroes into believing that he is Skeletor, and Faker at the Royal Palace pretending to be He-Man. However, many of the stories are bad, full of inconsistencies; one of my favorites being Skeletor not knowing how to get to Castle Grayskull.

In the first eight issues we are literally bombarded with product placement after product placement. Some fit quite smoothly into the story, such as the Jetsled and the Horde Troopers, while others, like the Monstroid, are central to the story. However, issues six and eight are effortlessly the worst with regards to blatant product placement and also feature some truly offensive storytelling!

In the first eight issues we see the following characters make their debuts (coinciding with the release of their action figures); Meteorbs (all ten of them), Rock Warriors, Horde Troopers, Rio-Blast, Snout Spout, King Hiss, Rattlor, Tung Lashor, Extendar, Multi-Bot, King Randor, Clamp Champ, Ninjor, Blast-Attak, Scare Glow, Faker (re-issue), Mosquitor, Sssqueeze, and Snake Face; plus the accessories Jet Sled, Laser Bolt, Mantisaur, Monstroid, Fright Fighter, Blasterhawk, Beam Blaster and Artilleray, Cliff Climber, Scubattack, and Tower Tools; and finally the playsets Slime Pit and Eternia. Even in this list I've omitted certain things like Skeletor's Terror Claws, and Hordak's Hurricane and Buzz-Saw powers, all of which were also based on toys.


To be continued...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

BUY THE MAGAZINE HERE!

1 comment:

Kevin Martinell said...

In that list of characters, I'm pretty sure that I only once owned the action toys of Clamp Champ and the Snake Men, plus the "Slime Pit" play-set, as I lost interest in the series and then got into "Thundercats" and Filmation's Ghostbusters! :) I don't mind product placement with the characters as long as certain characters aren't featured in the episode for just a few seconds ... Ex.: "Here, There, Skeletors Everywhere."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...