08 December 2012

Adam flees the Beast #01

Here is the first of four strikingly beautiful illustrations by Robin Davies from the Masters of the Universe Ladybird book "He-Man meets the Beast". In the story Prince Adam enters a cavern and ends up being chased by a large monster. The chase is wonderfully documented with illustrations that often reach across two pages showing Prince Adam's fear amongst the iridescent colored glow of each tunnel. In this illustration we see Prince Adam trying not to make a sound as the large silhouette of the creature looms nearby...


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

3 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Wow, I could definitely see this translate real well to the Filmation cartoon! I like the idea of a red-colored cavern for a change, and I like how the "glow" of the cavern creates red highlights on Prince Adam. :) This is the perfect way to illustrate a monster who has yet to be seen, hunched over and with sinister, visible eyes only ... Definitely one of the best dramatic illustrations I've seen for one of the story books! :)

Mosquitor said...

He-Man Meets The Beast was easily one of the best of the UK Ladybird books. This illustration scared the crap out of me as a kid. Best of all, the audio tape that came with the book was also scary as hell, with the sound effects and the way the narrator described this scene, I loved it but it sure as hell gave me nightmares!

Buzz Chuck said...

This art came first, but it reminds me of Samurai Jack.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...