23 May 2013

FILMATION ART: Trollan stream.

For the last sixteen years I have collected He-Man and She-Ra animation artwork. As a result I have amassed a pretty large collection! Here I present a piece of original background artwork from the He-Man episode "Dawn of Dragoon". This background is one of my favorite purchases, as it is one of the earliest images we see of Trolla. I love the color scheme on this piece of artwork featuring a wonderful use of oranges for the shrubbery, and the blues for the bridge and surrounding landscape. I even like the way the sides of the river are painted a slight shade of purple to distinguish them for the rest of the ground. In this episode there was a running stream during this shot, which I do not have. However, when we see this image again in the episode there is no stream running, but instead there is a beautiful overlay of the upside down rainbow that Prince Adam spots, indicating that things are backwards on this planet.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

And here is how the background was used in the episode...



And how it was reused a few minutes later...

2 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Wow, you possess quite a bit of artwork from this episode, Sir! Nice how you have featured both versions of the image in the episode to compare with. :) It's funny, but when I look at this scenery, the Trollans really don't need a bridge to cross as they all float and can use magic, so I guess the bridge is for show! :)

WVM said...

It's always fun to see how background art is used and reused in these shows. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...