13 February 2014

A brief review #047 - "Keeper of the Ancient Ruins"

As many of you will know, in 2010 I published The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. At 300+ pages the book features 700+ pieces of trivia, 460+ deleted scenes, 360+ examples of animation reuse, 380+ quotes, 50+ abandoned episodes, and a LOT more! It is the book that NO fan of the Filmation series can live without! BUY IT NOW!

As an incentive, here is my brief review and rating (as they appear in the book) for "Keeper of the Ancient Ruins"...

This episode starts off with a great deal of promise, but somewhere during the plot it all seems to fall apart. The pacing of the story seems all over the place; specifically on the scenes with the Zactons which are so drawn out they quickly become dull. Many of the scenes during the middle part of this episode seem incredibly tedious, and Trap Jaw's inclusion is probably one of the most unnecessary appearances of a villain in the series; he serves little purpose. The only great thing about this episode is, of course, the scene where Teela is hurt, Prince Adam transforms in front of her, and we see a large mythological bird come to her aid. For one brief moment the episode captivates us. 5/10

Now, may I ask; what is YOUR rating?

3 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

All good points brought up, and I agree with you about the transformation, James ... I always liked how we didn't see the usual light effects in the background behind both He-Man and Cringer/Battlecat as seen in their stock poses during the transformation. :) The storm scene was always exciting for me, even though He-Man comes up with such a far-fetched solution to "take care" of the threat! In a way it was quite interesting to see how stubborn the Zactons were in trusting humans, as both Man-At-Arms and Professor Smallen tried in vain to convince them that they mean them no harm. To a point, I agree about Trap Jaw's appearance, BUT he was very successful in capturing Teela, something he could not do in any other episode. Lastly, I have always enjoyed the "desert-themed" He-Man episodes ... There always seems to be something interesting or exciting going on out there. :) For me, I would rate this episode above average just because it was always entertaining for me, as strange as it may sound, and I still enjoy it a lot as one of my more favorite episodes. Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Kevin Martinell said...

All good points brought up, and I agree with you about the transformation, James ... I always liked how we didn't see the usual light effects in the background behind both He-Man and Cringer/Battlecat as seen in their stock poses during the transformation. :) The storm scene was always exciting for me, even though He-Man comes up with such a far-fetched solution to "take care" of the threat! In a way it was quite interesting to see how stubborn the Zactons were in trusting humans, as both Man-At-Arms and Professor Smallen tried in vain to convince them that they mean them no harm. To a point, I agree about Trap Jaw's appearance, BUT he was very successful in capturing Teela, something he could not do in any other episode. Lastly, I have always enjoyed the "desert-themed" He-Man episodes ... There always seems to be something interesting or exciting going on out there. :) For me, I would rate this episode above average just because it was always entertaining for me, as strange as it may sound, and I still enjoy it a lot as one of my more favorite episodes. Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Mosquitor said...

I'd agree with this review. The scene with Teela being healed by Great Bird (which really should have made more appearances; from the way Teela reacts to it in this episode it gives the impression it was a regular character) and Prince Adam's unique transformation to He-Man is the only really memorable scene. The rest of the episode has the feel of one that had an interesting premise behind it all but was executed very poorly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...