15 February 2014

FILMATION ART: Tunnel to mines.

For the last sixteen years I have collected He-Man and She-Ra animation artwork. As a result I have amassed a pretty large collection! Here I present a piece of original background artwork from the He-Man episode "Orko's New Friend". I will admit that when I first saw this background, prior to seeing the production number, I had no clue as to what episode it was from. This made perfect sense as soon as I realized it was from one of my least favorite episodes of the entire series! That said, this is an incredibly well-rendered background. While the curtain and archway are nothing to speak of, the tunnel which leads down to the mines is beautifully illustrated. Again, we see just how fantastic a light source can be when creating a sense of depth and mood. Here we see the mine lit up from below, creating beautiful textures that rise up out of the tunnel. One thing I also like is the texture on the ground, with certain elements from the room reflected upon it.


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

And here is how the background was used in the episode...

2 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Agreed, and when I saw this piece, I too could not place this setting and STILL don't remember seeing it unless I go back and see the episode again! Nice alternate-looking cave structure, as opposed to the usual cavern scenery we get in episodes like "Quest for the Sword," "The Energy Beast," and "A Bird in the Hand." Actually, there was one scene in "The Search," with a light at the end of the tunnel, that looks close to this scene ... I believe it appears when He-Man is seen running towards the audience and performing his stock punch. :) Thanks for reading and God Bless! ~"KevyGuy" :)

Mosquitor said...

An enjoyable bad episode, one of those episodes that's amusing because it's so bad, that became more frequent towards the end of the Filmation show's run.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...