29 March 2014

FILMATION ART: Missing Ax log.

For the last sixteen years I have collected He-Man and She-Ra animation artwork. As a result I have amassed a pretty large collection! Here I present a piece of original background artwork from the She-Ra episode "The Missing Ax". Those that know me will know I that I have a strong dislike for this episode of She-Ra in which the entire plot revolves around a missing ax, which technically was never missing. However, when I saw this background on sale I had to purchase it. The detail and composition of this piece is very impressive, with a wonderful use of color throughout. In typical Filmation fashion we see the tree painted in a unique color scheme, with numerous hues and highlights adorning it, helping to create a wonderful texture. I also enjoy owning this piece as it is from a pivotal moment of an episode I dislike!


(click on the image to see it at full-size)

And here is how the background was used in the episode...

2 comments:

Kevin Martinell said...

Couldn't agree more, James! This would have been perfect scenery to showcase for the very first scene in the He-Man episode: "Quest for the Sword." :) As far as the episode goes, Mantenna gets a pretty good role in the story, and that to me is the episode's highlight!

Mosquitor said...

I think there should have been more episodes like this. They should have expanded on the idea to do episodes like "The Missing Shoe", "The Missing Pencil Sharpener", "Glimmer's Lost Bottle of Shampoo"... Think of all the great ideas Filmation could have incorporated here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...